There was a time when “coffee” was a term for wine. The drink became so in demand that people started drinking actual coffee to keep them awake. Hence, they gave it the name to what we know as Coffee. This is true that, like wine, coffee keeps you awake. But unlike wine, coffee is a slow poison, the effect is known well in future. The caffeine content in coffee makes it more harmful. Let us find out the health hazards of coffee:
- Impairs the nervous system: Excessive drinking of coffee causes trembling of the hands and body due to nervousness. Caffeine is a nervous system stimulant which leads to depressive phase like exhaustion, fatigue, headaches etc. It also leads to stomach problem and poor digestive system.
- 2. Heart disease and blood pressure: As discussed above caffeine acts as a central nervous system stimulant, it leads to heart pumping faster and this leads to high blood pressure. This in turn can cause a sudden cardiac attack. That’s why patients who are already suffering from heart disease are advised to avoid coffee.
- 3. Insomnia: people working late nights are in a habit of drinking excess coffee which keeps them awake. This becomes a habit and it leads to insomnia or lack of sleep. They become so habituated to coffee that sometimes without having coffee they cannot sleep.
- 4. Miscarriage: consumption of coffee during pregnancy may lead to miscarriage. The effects of caffeine in pregnant women are harmful. So avoid drinking coffee during this time.
- 5. Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a disease which reduces the calcium in the body and leads to bone loss. Heavy consumption of coffee increases the risk of osteoporosis and mainly in women with low calcium intake.
- 6. Cholesterol level: Coffee also increases the cholesterol level.
So there are many reasons why one should consume less coffee or no coffee. The list continues. It is imperative that one should consume healthy drinks instead of coffee and reduce the risk factors involved.