Not all organizations, go and take an extreme step for the under performers and fire the employees on the basis of their performance. One has to also understand the reason of an employee under-performing. Having said that, an employer is very careful when hiring the candidate and is very particular about their performance of work, the employee also tries to perform their best. So there has to be a reason of a sudden plunge in the performance of the employees. Their apathy towards work could be many reasons.
The employer should go that extra mile and try to understand the reason for such attitude and try to deal with them in a composed manner. Before going for a termination or dismissal of the employee, one has to understand and deal with the under-performers and try to find a solution:
- 1. The reason for under-performing: As mentioned above, there could be many reasons for the sudden drop in the performance. So try to find out the reason for the same whether it’s personal, health issues, or some issues at the workplace which is disturbing them. Once the reason is detected, it becomes easy to understand and deal with it.
- 2. Keep a check on the graph: You just cannot judge on an employee’s performance based on just once incidence. Check the overall performance throughout. Was he an average performer, great performer, or weak performer? If it was first 2(average or great) and then he has started under-performing, then that could be a reason to worry. If he/she has been an under performer throughout, then it is obvious that, there could be no other reason other than lack of interest and irresponsible attitude and so you have no other option but to take an extreme step.
- 3. One-on-one: The sign of a great manager is to sit down and talk about it with the employee. Instead of coming to a conclusion, a one-on one will help you dig into the problem and come to a solution which is not possible otherwise, if you just sit and anticipate the reason behind.
- 4. Expectation from the employees: Right at the time a person joins, he/she is made clear with the expectations. So there could be problem with the expectations, maybe it was not communicated or they were not clear on that front. So communicate the expectations from the employee verbally as well as in writing. So you are clear from your end that you did communicate.
- 5. We can solve it together: Throughout the meeting, keep this attitude that we can solve the issue together. A positive attitude from your side will give a positive vibe to the employee as well and they will also feel motivated to perform well.
- 6. Give them time: As discussed already, you cannot judge the performance of the employee just at once. After you have a discussion with them, give them some time and peruse the graph and see for any changes. If there is any improvement, your meeting was successful and you can vouch on them, if it remains the same, then you have no other option left.
SO all in all, an under-performer has to be dealt with like a child. You, as a manager, have to be an understanding parent and try to explain each and every circumstances of their under-performance and try to resolve their issue at the workplace in a calm and composed manner.