Know your rights

Posted: December 19, 2015 in Writing

Time and again, women have been the victim of sexual violence, whether at home, office, public place and what adds to the injury is the society, the typical male dominated society, who has a self set dogma, which they believe and let others follow. But it is about time, women have to espouse for self, no one in this world is going to stand for them. The better we understand the lesser pain we would face. Coming out and speaking out against the sexual violence is the need of the hour. Brushing it under the carpet is going to harm you, harm the society. Because the more you try to hide it, the more crimes against women are going to increase.

It is so daunting to see the news papers and news channels reporting the crime against women. But this is just 1%  and the other 99% are brushed under the carpet, either out of fear of the insult the family is going to face, or the fear of the threatens they get. But it’s about time, we do something.

Stand up and fight for your rights. You have equal rights to stay in the society with dignity. No Jerk can come and assault you and then get over it. You are not born to suffer, raise your voice against this violence and let the world know that, you are here to bring the criminal in front of the public and not to hide your face under the sheet and sob lifelong.

There are so many women cells and NGOs which help you with this. There has to be fear of Law and fear of media when they do this. Naming and shaming them is one such step. You don’t have to feel ashamed, they have done wrong to you, and so they have to be shamed in front of the public. Let their parents know, let the public know.

Take an example of Nirbhaya, All this while her name was hidden from the public, because of the pressure from the people and the media, her parent’s Identity was hidden. Why? Now what is left for them to feel ashamed of or hide their name or face? And those who should feel ashamed of the heinous crime they have done, will roam freely again.

There are so many Nirbhayas, who face sexual assault everyday and are forced to not speak against them and are threatened of the consequences they are going to face. But now, we have to wake up. One can’t suffer for so long. There has to be an end to this. And to know how, we have to educate the women in India.

And so, Amnesty International has come up with a campaign where every woman should now their right, as in when someone sexually assaults you, whom should you contact, where should you file an FIR, so on and forth. Here is the information about #KnowYourRights http://www.blogadda.com/activity-pdfs/Important-information-about-KnowYourRights.pdf

So girls, know your rights and stay safe.

“I’m writing this blog post to support Amnesty International’s #KnowYourRights campaign at BlogAdda. You can also contribute to the cause by donating or spreading the word.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s