You have just completed your interview which you have been prepping for over a week and you feel relaxed and confident at the same time that the interview went pretty well. But as you come out of the interview room and see the number of people waiting outside, you start feeling the jitters. Now you feel the competition and your confidence level converts into a doubt, “How did I do the interview?”
Seconds ago you were super confident and now you start feeling nervous and want to know the result as soon as possible. Do you think calling up the recruiter and following up is a good idea? Well Yes! You can always follow-up in fact that shows how serious you are about the job.
Having said that, there has to be some tips that can be followed on the same:
- Don’t be desperate: I know it is very difficult to wait for the recruiter to call and you feel desperate and an urge to call them every now and then to know the status. But never show your desperation to the recruiter. It shows a negative impact on them and your desperation can become your enemy. So show your interest but not your desperation.
- Call/email the recruiter: The best practice as soon as you finish your interview should be email the recruiter or call them. Some find it unprofessional to call the recruiter, so you can always email them and let them know about the interview details. Having said that, don’t keep emailing every now and then, this could irritate them and it looks very unprofessional as well. A proper follow-up with regular intervals are still fine.
- Build a rapport: Right from the time you get a call from the recruiter, you can build a rapport with them, so post interview, it becomes easy for you to just make a friendly call or email and let them know how serious you are about this job. Also, a friendly call should be in a professional manner, you don’t have to be too casual, that again gives a wrong impression.
- Don’t stalk: Following up can take a negative shape of stalking. Calling up every day and asking about the feedback becomes irritating for anyone. Remember, a recruiter too has to follow-up with the client and it takes time for the client to respond. SO unless and until they don’t get any update they cannot let you know how much ever you follow-up. SO don’t let your follow-up take a shape of stalking.
- Be professional: I understand you might also feel frustrated after some time, if you don’t get any update. That doesn’t mean, you behave in an unprofessional manner. Always be polite and professional and give them the message loud and clear that, I have other opportunities as well and I am not being desperate but curious.
- Learn to move on: Give yourself some time, and if you do not get any mail or call from the recruiter, it is better to move on. After all, that is not the only company in the market and you can always get better opportunities elsewhere.
Also, you will come to know about the status, by the way the recruiter’s response. If they give a cold reply and say “We will get back to you”, it is clear that you are not selected. So, you are doing your job of following up, so don’t lose hope if they don’t get back and try to move on.
I have never regretted so much while changing so many jobs, that I am doing right now after being jobless and helpless. Apparently, I wasn’t aware that my job hopping will bring me to a stage where I have to justify for each and every job change in my entire career and that is quite painful you see. And now I feel had I been to one job or two, for that matter, my career would have been far more stable and secure.
Well, I am not here to crib about my past or present, but to help people know the cons of too many job hopping. In the recent past, big organizations have become very particular when it comes to job change and they prefer more stable employees. Even if the technology is very niche, people prefer to stay long in a company for visibility and better future. The major drawback of job hopping is that, you end up in the same designations for years together, if you change so many jobs and you won’t get an opportunity you want. And in search of a better opportunity, you end up putting your whole career at risk.
The major reasons of job hopping are salary, better opportunity, promotion, brand name and similar factors which lead to retention and frequent job hopping.
SO let’s discuss ways to prevent job hopping:
- 1. Prepare an impressive resume: When you know your resume will showcase you career history clearly, you have to prepare an impressive resume where all your flaws are invisible.
- Valid reason: You have to justify each and every job change that you have done. Only when you have a genuine reason, the employer tries to consider your resume otherwise, they will reject you upfront.
- 3. Discuss things clearly: We have already discussed the major reasons of frequent job changes. So before joining the organization discuss everything clearly like salary, stability, future and all the major things which matters to you and which can be a major reason of frequent job hopping.
- Stability: Juts like you want stability in your organization, similarly, the employer also expects the same and so when you have made up your mind about being stable in the organization, your employer will do their best to retain you and help you stay longer in the organization. You have to talk your heart out about the same. It should be a win-win situation for both of you.
So in order to prevent job hopping, one has to carefully handle the way they present their career history and try to get the best out of it. When you showcase your talent, every other thing becomes irrelevant and that’s what matters. Always be positive and move ahead with confidence and try to be loyal to your organization and get the best out of it.
Workplace discrimination is a serious offence and not only against the company policies, but is against the law and it can lead to legal complications. And surprisingly, slight apathy from the employer can lead to loss of the whole business altogether. So any complaint from the employee about gender discrimination or racism should not be ignored and has to be looked upon seriously.
Discrimination can be on the basis of race, caste, nationality, sex, disability, age and pregnancy. In order to foster the law, employee has to be made aware of the law against any such discrimination. And slight doubt about the same has to be dealt with carefully with the help of the HR. There is a proper law made on discrimination and harassment at the workplace by the state. So it’s evocative, that an employee should not bear the discrimination and harassment, but raise their voice against the same. And in order to do so, you have to strictly deal with it:
- Know the law: Ideally every organization makes its employees aware about all the laws and policies of the organization. So keep a note of all the laws and when you are feeling discriminated, you can always go back to your handbook and check the process of complaining about the same.
- Talk to the person politely: Just to reconfirm and to personally sort out the issue, try to talk to the person directly who is harassing you, after continued polite initiative from your end, that person does not change his behavior, its time you take the next step and complain your issue to the manager and the HR.
- Follow up: As already discussed, any complaint on discrimination should not be over ruled and for that you have to follow up continuously. Keep a track of the progress on your complaint whether it has been taken care of or has been ignored completely. If ignored completely, you can seek government help on the same.
- Hire a Lawyer or seek legal help: As discussed, if you do not get satisfactory help from the organization and after continued follow up, no action has been taken, you can always hire a lawyer and seek legal help from the government.
Having said that, a proper process has to be followed in this case because of the legal actions involved and any mistake from your end can wreck your career as well. So keep a note of all the incidents as and when it happens when you felt harassed and discriminated. When asked for furnish all the notes and narrate each and every incident. Also keep a track of when did you file a complaint to the HR department and how long it took for them to take the process further or have they taken the complaint seriously at all.
So all these things has to be kept a note of and then deal with the harassment and discrimination.
Multi tasking has become indispensable to grow in an industry. Not only at workplace but, in every walk of life multi tasking is important to grow in the fast pace of competition. Earlier, work was allotted to people based on their capacity. However, in order to minimize the resources yet get the best result, people are trained in different fields and these results in multi tasking. The trend of multi tasking started from the BPOs and call centres, where an associate had to take calls at the same time resolve the issues and concentrate on customer satisfaction. Likewise, this trend has been taken forward and is followed in every organization.
Multi tasking helps in completing tedious tasks at ease and saves time and increases productivity at the same time. It helps in prioritizing the work and simultaneously concentrating on multiple projects. Having said that, sometimes, multi tasking can leave you confused and unproductive, if not planned and implemented properly. So it’s imperative that, when you multi task, avoid overdoing to finish the work early and end up leaving everything half done. To avoid any such complications, one has to effectively multi task:
- Plan your day: The most important way to effectively multi task, is to plan your day. A proper planning will help you complete all the work on time. Sometimes when you have loads of work at your desk, time is always insufficient. When you plan your day, you can easily manage time at the same time finish the work on time. So multi tasking in a planned way will help ease the work and increase productivity.
- Prioritize your work: As discussed above, proper planning will help you multi task easily, likewise, prioritizing your work will help you finish all the important work first and then complete the other not so important work later.
- Don’t be over confident: if you are good at multi tasking, it’s normal that you might feel confident and feel that you can finish all the work on time. And this over confidence can leave your work incomplete. This can lead to unproductively in your work.
- Don’t dawdle: When you have prioritized your work, try to finish on time, instead of procrastinating. As discussed above, overconfidence can dishevel all your plans and yon can end up dawdling your whole day. So don’t delay or postpone your work, because you are good at multi tasking.
- Don’t overdo: overdoing something, can lead you to confusions and stop the pace of your work. So even when multi tasking, do it at your comfort level and as per your calibre. So, anything overdone can wreck your image altogether and your boss might lose confidence on you if multi tasking.
So, all in all, multi tasking, if done effectively can help ease your work and finish it on time. But if, not planned effectively, can lead to a bad image altogether. In a way, multi tasking at a certain level, is always helpful. One should not cross the limit of the same and try to overdo in order to impress the boss and end up in poor productivity.
Corporate, these days, give a leeway of working from home to most of the professionals. This has been an intelligent move on their part to retain the employees by giving them the flexibility of working from home. It’s so blissful, waking up a little late and logging into your system with a hot cup of coffee, No hurry of rushing to get ready and reach office on time. You have your designated space and privacy. But, working from home is not a piece of cake, because you have more responsibility on your shoulders. You have to prove that you are utilizing your time to your best and you are being productive at the same time. Sometimes you have to work against the clock, it is not the usual 9- 5 shift sometimes, but to meet your deadlines, you have to stretch, which is usually the same when you are at office.
With the urge to prove yourself and making the employer feel that working from home can also be productive, one has to utilize the most of the same. When you are given the leeway, try to utilize it to the best and not take a due advantage out of it for your personal work. Let’s discuss how can we work from home, yet be 100% productive:
- Time management: When working from home, it becomes difficult to manage time because of other stuff coming on the way and postponing your actual work. So proper time management is something which is very important when working from home. Strictly assign your working time and the number of breaks you take, this will bolster spending maximum time at work and helps in increasing the productivity. Closely monitoring your time will help you follow a routine and you will get accustomed to this work environment soon.
- Designate a space: There is continuous disturbance when you work from home and so it becomes insurmountable to concentrate on your work while at home. To avoid any such disturbance, it’s imperative that you designate yourself with a proper work space, with minimal disturbance and inform your kids and spouse to keep distance from your office space and cooperate in working from home.
- 3. Work as if under pressure: The major advantage of going to office is, you work under continuous pressure from your manager and this helps in completing your work on time. So follow the same strategy when working from home, set a target or deadline for self and try to work under continuous pressure to meet the deadline. However, your boss might have assigned the targets, but you tend to become lazy and wait for the last moment to finish all your work when at home. SO to avoid any last moment confusions and tensions, set a goal and target and always work as if under pressure.
- 4. Create a professional environment: As discussed above, when you set a goal a target or goal for self, you are automatically creating a professional environment around. And when you work under this environment, you are in continuous feeling of working in the office itself and help you meet all your targets and deadlines. Feel as if you are working in an office itself and work hard.
- 5. Stay connected with your colleagues: Even if you are working from home, stay connected with your colleagues, attend meeting on phone and get updates on what’s happening in the office. You will be updated at the same time, being in touch with the colleagues will help you in your projects.
So working from home can be beneficial and productive at the same time, if done with proper planning and in a professional manner.
Whether in business or at work or in your personal life, people come across a situation, where it becomes difficult to take even the simple decisions in life and that is the point when, you feel helpless and lonely, you want to get over this situations as soon as possible, but your dilemma makes your situation worst. When you are mulling over a problem for quite some time, it becomes even difficult to take important decisions. So one has to take some decisions based on their personal experiences but not all personal experiences help in taking a great decision. SO one has to be very careful while taking some important decisions, because one wrong decision can bust your reputation altogether.
Let’s discuss some important point in order to sharpen our decision making skills:
- Real time scenario: Sometimes, while taking decisions, you have to think about occasions where you were stuck on something and how effectively you took a decision and keeping that in mind, take a decision. A great leader is one who takes decisions based on their personal experiences and looks into the pros and cons and then takes a decision which would be beneficial.
- Take pensive time: Sometimes, when you are surrounded by colleagues and boss, it’s difficult to concentrate on the pros and cons and take a decision. So take some pensive time alone in your cabin or somewhere you find solemnity, this is the best way to concentrate and then take decision.
- Ask for suggestions: When you have to take a big decision which you feel you would not be able to take alone, try to take suggestions from your team members and manager and then take a unanimous decision. Sometime, you might feel that taking some decisions is a piece of cake, but when it comes to implementing it, that may take a toll on your career. So it’s imperative that you work as a team and take decisions.
- Step by step process: Don’t jump directly into any conclusion and decide in a hurry. You know, you are given enough time to follow a step by step process. In order to take all the credit and then regretting later, it’s better to follow a procedure, jot down all the points in your mind and those suggested by your colleagues and then come to a conclusion and put your plan into action.
Even a small decision, when taken smartly, takes a different turn altogether, and it can be a turning point in your career. So never get nervous even if it’s a small or a big decision, instead think in a composed manner. Remember, any step taken in sudden impulse is going to bust your career and you will regret for a lifetime.
Quitting a job without burning the bridge is an art in itself. Whether you have another job in hand, or you simply want to quit the organization, you have to have a valid point in either case. However, one has to be very careful when explaining the boss that you are leaving. A slight miscommunication, can cause a damage which is irrevocable and you would leave the organization with a sour memory and your character and performance will all be washed out at one go, just because of a slight mistake from your end. Also, your immature behaviour will end up getting you your walking papers, instead of you quitting, which can leave a negative impact, like you might not get your relevant documents, getting a job in other companies will become difficult.
SO to avoid this entire crisis to occur, you have to leave the organization gracefully and with confidence and keeping your boss in loop, at the same time, in good terms with your boss. How to explain to your boss about the same:
- Written resignation: Ideally, some companies have a procedure of submitting a written resignation or via Email. SO draft a proper mail about your resignation and do not mention anything which can leave a doubt or will make them feel that your resignation is due to official reason (even if it is).
- Confidential: They say never ever disclose your salary with your colleagues. Likewise, unless and until you are not sure, never discuss your resignation to any of your closest co-workers. Because, if one person gets to know, it spreads like a fire and even before you telling your boss, he might already know it through someone else. SO you do not want that to happen. Keep it top secret and let your boss be the first person to know about the same and only when approved by your manager, you can disclose it.
- One on one discussion: You might want to have a one on one discussion with your boss to explain the reasons. Also, arrange the meeting as per their convenience and don’t be in a hurry. Only when your boss would be free, he/she would be able to be all ears with you.
- Proper reason: You should be able to furnish proper reason of your quitting the organization. You can’t give naive reasons like I am not well that’s why I can’t come. You have to furnish proper doctor’s certificate about the same. SO if you have a proof for the reason of your resignation. You boss will trust you and leaving on a trust is always beneficial for you and the employer.
- Serve a proper notice period: Whatever reason you have given for your resignation, if you serve a proper notice period, that will leave a good impact, at the same time, it will be beneficial for your next employment and you can leave without burning the bridge. SO as per the company policies, serve your notice and leave gracefully, instead of fighting to relieve you immediately.
You can also arrange for a replacement and give a smooth transition, this will impress your boss even more and this will leave a feeling that you are genuinely concerned about the company and will relieve you smoothly.
Remember, your professional relationship with your manager, will help you in your further employments and any slight rift between the two can leave a bad impact on your career. SO anything is going to affect your future and your employment. SO be very careful when explaining the reason for your resignation. Also, any organization you have worked with helps you in building a vast network and directly or indirectly, they help in your future endeavours. SO keeping that in mind, try to be in good terms with your boss even after quitting the job. SO all in all, you can make your resignation smooth and easy, if you handle it carefully with your boss.