For those who are already working, there is nothing above that you require, because you are already pre-occupied with your office work. But for those who have taken a sabbatical for some time before pregnancy and is now expecting, there is an urge to do something during this time. Especially because, this is the time your mind continuously keeps working on things which are unimportant and those thoughts will make you feel uneasy. So one has to keep them self busy and stay away from unnecessary thoughts and tensions.
However, keeping self busy will bolster your mental and physical health and it gives you peace of mind. Sometimes, women think so much that they reach a stage of oblivion.
Having said that, pregnancy is the time when you have to have maximum peace of mind and don’t let your mind divert towards unnecessary things and thoughts which will affect your health. So there are myriad options available for a woman to keep busy during pregnancy:
- Freelancing: Though you have left your job, or taken a sabbatical, you can always work as a freelancer. This will not only keep you busy but will also help you u earn some money. However, for some money is trivial and all they want is keep them busy. SO freelancing doesn’t require a 9-5 working shift, one can work anytime of the day. You can be freelance blogger or writer and can write about your experience so far of your pregnancy. SO there are glut of topics you can write about.
- Join a class: Based on your interest you can join any class like Yoga, art and craft, Art of living, and many more, which doesn’t entail too much physical strain. You can also start a hobby which you always like but due to your busy schedule couldn’t really implement it like singing, learning guitar, or piano, or anything, which, as already said, is not strenuous and which can be done sitting.
- Try to be active: Remember lying down on your bed or on your couch for the whole day for 9 whole months, makes one too lazy. Try to be active, if you are not on any bed rest, go for a walk, and do Yoga, some breathing exercises. Too much work out is a big NO though, but small exercises as suggested by the doctor can help you get away from the fatigue and mood swings and you will feel rejuvenating and active at the same time.
- Invite your friend’s home: Spending some quality time with near and dear one will always keep you happy. This is the time when people are around you, but still you feel lonely sometimes. So to beat the boredom, invite some friends at your place and spend quality time chit chatting.
- Play some games: Playing some games will keep you busy and help you get away from the stress and jitters. So there are lot of board games available in the market, which you can play with your family members.
So there are lot of options available to keep self busy during pregnancy. However, if you not on bed rest, you can explore many things like going shopping, visiting relatives and friends. At the same time, if you are at bed rest, the above things will help you curb boredom and get away from the jitters as well. So instead of lazily lying down for those 9 months, be active and happy and stay away from stress and tensions.
Pregnancy is the time when a woman has lot of mood fluctuations and cravings and they want all the attention in the world. And its natural, they get all the pampering from everyone, right from the in-laws, parents, husband of course and also the neighbours.
Your body goes through so many hormonal changes, you feel groggy, nausea, mood swings, cravings, cramps and what not. This is the time to take extreme care of yourself and your baby. The jitters are common, there is anxiety. Every minute your mood changes and that is the reason doctors ask you to be happy.
Having said that, you behaviour affects the baby inside and those 9 months, you have to just think about the baby and behave and eat for the wellness of the baby.
- Always be happy: As discussed, your behaviour reflects positively or negatively to the baby inside. They say if you are happy, your baby is happy inside. Anger, anxiety, depression will affect adversely to your health and the baby. Whatever you think and do will affect your baby.
- Always think positive: During pregnancy, one has to always take positive vibes and try to get away from negative thoughts. When you think positive, the vibes goes to the baby inside and that will always keep the baby positive. Don’t let negativity take a toll on your happiness and always try to be happy and positive, that is the mantra of healthy pregnancy.
- Listen to soothing music: Music is the best healer for any pains and during pregnancy, music always gives a soothing feeling. It doesn’t have to be necessarily only light music, but not too jazzy music. Songs and music which placates your mood swings is advisable.
- Read religious books: Reading books also diverts from any thoughts which can make you sad, or give tension or anxiety. It keeps you busy. Especially when you read religious books, all your anxiety and jitters vanish and you feel mental peace.
- Meditation: This is the time, when you have mood fluctuations, you feel sad, lonely, happy, angry. SO many emotions barge into your mind, that you don’t have control over it. So best way is to try to manage all these emotions. Meditation is the best practice to keep all these emotions away and keeps you happy and peaceful.
- Eat healthy: Whatever you eat, will help in the growth of your baby. So always eat healthy and eat small small quantity many times instead of eating big meals twice. Eat lot of fruits as well.
- Watch your cravings: This is the time, some women have weird cravings and they say you should never stop your craving. So watch your cravings and things which you think is healthy for the baby ea that.
- Don’t research too much: Doctors always suggest not to research too much at this time, because you have too many unnecessary information available on the net that you go research for anything, it will make you scared rather than happy and that will not help you in anyways, but will keep you more tensed and leave you doubtful.
I am as novice as anyone who has first pregnancy, but just tried to jot down all the points which our elders have been suggesting for ages and which has always worked wonders. SO all in all, always stay healthy, eat healthy and think healthy, your baby will be healthy.
The feeling of motherhood is inexplicable. You can’t wait to feel the kicks, the movements and listen to the heartbeat of your baby inside. You want to touch the baby and feel the love. There is little nervousness and anxiety for to- be parents. Everything they do and eat, they first want to confirm with the doctor and why not, this is your first conception and you are as novice as a small child. Right from the time you get the news of you being pregnant, you feel happy and want to break the news to the world.
Having a child is a wonderful experience, but still there is anxiety and tension continuously running in their mind. This is the time, when they get pampered from everyone and are made to feel special, but sometimes a sense of “loneliness” stays there. Some of the doubts that vacillate in your mind are:
- Worry and uncontrollable thoughts: Right from the time you conceive, a constant worry and tension stays intact. The fear of something bad will happen, or some past histories of the same or listening to cases and getting tensed. These thoughts are uncontrollable. SO you need to discuss this with your doctor.
- Lack of confidence and fear: Till the time of your delivery, there is conscious fear and your confidence levels are shaky. You want to get this done as soon as possible.
- Diet: A constant doubt about what is good for you and the baby and what is not, keeps running in your mind. You have a craving for something, but you have to think twice before you eat.
So, lot of other doubts come into your mind as an expecting parent which is natural. But at the same time peace of mind and body is very important for the baby as well as you. Having said that, little things which will help get you over the pregnancy jitters:
- Meditation: For the mental and physical peace, an expecting parent should meditate a lot. It will wash away all the doubts in mind and all the fears will vanish and you will feel relaxed and refreshed.
- Join a group: Every to be parents have these jitters and for them there are lot of classes conducted, where you can clear your doubts and suggest something which is useful. SO an interactive class will help you get over the jitters.
- Speak it out: If you have some sort of fear in your mind, best way to get over it is to speak it out with your doctor. Discuss the measures taken to rule out that fear. If required consult a counsellor who will help you come over the tensions and fear.
- Proper sleep: Most of the time, during this time, you have lack of sleep and that affects your body and mind. Constantly thinking about things which are irrelevant and straining your mind and body will affect your health. SO in order to get away from these thoughts, sleep a lot. Whenever, you get time, just sleep. Because when you sleep your mind and body is on rest and it gives immense peace and relaxation.
The first time parents are oblivious and taking tensions is mundane. But one has to keep in mind that it doesn’t affect your health and the baby’s health. SO just try to clear as many doubts as you can and get away with the jitters, rather than thinking and thinking about it and making the situation worse. Remember, your actions and your mental status, directly affects the baby. So watch your actions and thoughts not for you but for the baby and be happy.
Have you ever experienced taking an appointment well in advance and still waiting for hours together for the doctor and when finally your turn comes, the doctor hardly listens to you or suggests the medication? I am sure you must have. It’s quite ludicrous and you have to come out with hundred more doubts in mind than you had before entering.
It’s really disquieting. I had an experience with this Doctor. She is an obstetrician and really famous and popular among people with her success stories hanging all over the hospital. Before going to the doctor, it’s natural that you enquire and do research on how the doc is and the reviews of her work. I did the same and went to the hospital. Now the structure of the hospital itself said everything. The fees of the docs were touching the sky. Anyways, we needed it, so we didn’t quite think about the fees. Around 6.00 pm we went their registered my name and was waiting and waiting. When asked at the reception, they used to say 10 mins and around 9.00 pm the doc called us. We went inside and since this was the first time we went there, the doc was very patient and she gave us almost 1 hour of time and we were satisfied and came out with a big smile. Though no treatment was given but just some words of wisdom was all that we got.
Now after that, every visit we had, I noticed the time was getting reduced and reduced and earlier when she gave us 1 hour, now she hardly gave 15 mins.
There was this time of my life when I conceived and had an early miscarriage. Since it was our first conception, I was quite depressed and wanted to know the reason of the same. This time again we took an appointment and after 2 hours the doc called us and before we could ask her anything, she just entered the room, saw the reports and said I am sorry and left. She directed us to a junior doc, who gave us some medicines, but, we wanted to talk to the senior doc. We were shocked to the core. We had so many doubts in mind and we wrote all the questions we have to ask her. And all we got was a rude answer and a feeling of guilt.
I mean for God’s sake listen to your patients they have genuine problems and that’s why they are here. They are not your money minting machine that you just take the fees from and hardly give them time and leave. I am not saying all the docs are like that. I understand you are very busy and you have a lot of patients, but just imagine our plight we go through all the losses in the world and still come to you for help. For once, put yourself in our shoes and think like a human being and not like a businessman. So a humble request “Doctor, Please listen!”
The craving for junk food never ends. When you go out, you see a pizza corner, you grab it at one go, on the way to work, you see hotdog stall and you can’t resist. So this is what is called junk food addiction. Which is not wrong, everyone loves to eat and experiment with various dishes and delicacies. But, when the addiction reaches a limit and you have no control of yourself that is the time you have to think about pulling back yourself from the cravings. You don’t have to stop eating altogether, just that keep a check on your eating habits.
As you age, your junk food habits and addictions can take a toll on your health. So, today it can be delicious and you gnaw and relish, but, this can be a slow poison in the long run. So, we can always keep a check on what we are eating, how frequently we are eating and what can be done to stop the addiction.
- Curb your visit to fast food junctions: You have to peruse as to how often you visit the fast food junctions and how frequently you eat. And then try to curb your visits to these places as much as possible.
- Control your cravings: I know it’s really hard for fast food lovers to control their cravings, but that’s what the mantra to a healthy you. SO, whenever you get a craving for something like that, just go to your kitchen and try to make something which is healthy as well as delicious.
- Eat healthy: To pacify your craving and addiction, you can always try and eat healthy, every time you are hungry. These days due to stress at workplace, they get hungry frequently and every time they are hungry they grab these fast foods which is a substitute to your food. So, if you are not able to resist, you can have SUBWAY, which is healthy and will placate your hunger.
- Convert yourself to a health freak: This is the best way to control your craving. Think healthy, eat healthy, sleep healthy. If you make a mindset that, you have to stay healthy then you have to exercise and stop junk food. SO go to the Yoga classes, read books related to health and this will automatically change your mind and your addiction will automatically subside over a period of time.
- Prioritize your eating habits: Instead of grabbing whatever you get when you are hungry, try to prioritize your eating habits and make a list of items you can eat, when hungry. Try to eat fruits when hungry which is healthy as well as a great substitute for your fast foods.
- Avoid Beverages which contain soda: Soda is the most dangerous beverage and it is considered to be a slow poison. SO try to purchase beverages which doesn’t contain soda and start by drinking fresh fruit juices instead.
When you take an initiative to control your craving for junk food, you are automatically heading towards a healthy life. This will be a little difficult initially, but I am sure, you will come over this addiction over a period of time. Remember, a healthy lifestyle is a way towards a healthy you. Changing your eating habits, will definitely change your lifestyle and for good.
Having a miscarriage is the biggest loss ever. Especially with couple who has conceived for the first time, it’s really heart breaking. I recently had one, and can feel the pang behind. However, it was an early miscarriage and unfortunately, it’s common these days, says the doctor.
It’s really easy to be sympathetic and suggest, but the after affects and the suffering that the woman face is only known to her. Even If it’s an early or late miscarriage the pain and the sorrow is the same. No words of sympathy can eliminate the depth of pain one is suffering. I still cry sometimes when I am alone. Though I had a 12th week miscarriage, but even before you hear the heartbeat of the baby, you start planning everything. You wait desperately for that moment when you will relish the feeling of motherhood. All the plans and dreams crash at a once.
But, some day you have to some over it, the sooner the better. I realized this just recently. Because the more you think about it the more you get deeper into depression, remember this is not the end of the world. You have to deal with this only then you can plan for the next baby.
- Kill the depression: A person automatically slips into depression once an unfortunate incident happens. It’s really important to come out of that, because excessive depression might affect you mentally and physically. SO practice meditation and keep yourself busy in order to cope with this after effect.
- The guilt: This is something, which I felt. We wonder what went wrong and was it my mistake. Have I done something, which I wasn’t supposed to do? So there are lot of questions and guilt in the mind. May be it was my mistake. SO first thing, Get out of the guilt. It is no body’s mistake. It had to happen and so it happened. Feeling guilty will make the situation worse and you will not be able to come out of it.
- Support each other: This is not a loss of a single person, but both of you suffer equally. So you have to support each other and try not to blame each other. I know your dream is shattered. But it’s time to move on and support and love each other.
- Talk to a counsellor: If you feel, you are not able to come out of it, speak to a counsellor. And talk your heart out and try to find a solution for this rather than living with it forever.
- Talk to your Doctor: Discuss with your doctor on what could be the possible reasons, this happened to you and what are the future measures to be taken, so that this is not repeated again.
- This is not the end: Remember this is not the end of everything. These days it is common and people conceive again. If not, there are many other options these days like adoption.
So, it all depends on you, how to get out of this situation and move on in your life. Your mental state of mind will become stable over a period of time. But this should not affect your health and mind. If you don’t come over it, this might affect your next baby. So keeping this in mind, try to be calm and composed. In no time you will come over it.
There was a time when “coffee” was a term for wine. The drink became so in demand that people started drinking actual coffee to keep them awake. Hence, they gave it the name to what we know as Coffee. This is true that, like wine, coffee keeps you awake. But unlike wine, coffee is a slow poison, the effect is known well in future. The caffeine content in coffee makes it more harmful. Let us find out the health hazards of coffee:
- Impairs the nervous system: Excessive drinking of coffee causes trembling of the hands and body due to nervousness. Caffeine is a nervous system stimulant which leads to depressive phase like exhaustion, fatigue, headaches etc. It also leads to stomach problem and poor digestive system.
- 2. Heart disease and blood pressure: As discussed above caffeine acts as a central nervous system stimulant, it leads to heart pumping faster and this leads to high blood pressure. This in turn can cause a sudden cardiac attack. That’s why patients who are already suffering from heart disease are advised to avoid coffee.
- 3. Insomnia: people working late nights are in a habit of drinking excess coffee which keeps them awake. This becomes a habit and it leads to insomnia or lack of sleep. They become so habituated to coffee that sometimes without having coffee they cannot sleep.
- 4. Miscarriage: consumption of coffee during pregnancy may lead to miscarriage. The effects of caffeine in pregnant women are harmful. So avoid drinking coffee during this time.
- 5. Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a disease which reduces the calcium in the body and leads to bone loss. Heavy consumption of coffee increases the risk of osteoporosis and mainly in women with low calcium intake.
- 6. Cholesterol level: Coffee also increases the cholesterol level.
So there are many reasons why one should consume less coffee or no coffee. The list continues. It is imperative that one should consume healthy drinks instead of coffee and reduce the risk factors involved.