I have never regretted so much while changing so many jobs, that I am doing right now after being jobless and helpless. Apparently, I wasn’t aware that my job hopping will bring me to a stage where I have to justify for each and every job change in my entire career and that is quite painful you see. And now I feel had I been to one job or two, for that matter, my career would have been far more stable and secure.
Well, I am not here to crib about my past or present, but to help people know the cons of too many job hopping. In the recent past, big organizations have become very particular when it comes to job change and they prefer more stable employees. Even if the technology is very niche, people prefer to stay long in a company for visibility and better future. The major drawback of job hopping is that, you end up in the same designations for years together, if you change so many jobs and you won’t get an opportunity you want. And in search of a better opportunity, you end up putting your whole career at risk.
The major reasons of job hopping are salary, better opportunity, promotion, brand name and similar factors which lead to retention and frequent job hopping.
SO let’s discuss ways to prevent job hopping:
- 1. Prepare an impressive resume: When you know your resume will showcase you career history clearly, you have to prepare an impressive resume where all your flaws are invisible.
- Valid reason: You have to justify each and every job change that you have done. Only when you have a genuine reason, the employer tries to consider your resume otherwise, they will reject you upfront.
- 3. Discuss things clearly: We have already discussed the major reasons of frequent job changes. So before joining the organization discuss everything clearly like salary, stability, future and all the major things which matters to you and which can be a major reason of frequent job hopping.
- Stability: Juts like you want stability in your organization, similarly, the employer also expects the same and so when you have made up your mind about being stable in the organization, your employer will do their best to retain you and help you stay longer in the organization. You have to talk your heart out about the same. It should be a win-win situation for both of you.
So in order to prevent job hopping, one has to carefully handle the way they present their career history and try to get the best out of it. When you showcase your talent, every other thing becomes irrelevant and that’s what matters. Always be positive and move ahead with confidence and try to be loyal to your organization and get the best out of it.
Workplace discrimination is a serious offence and not only against the company policies, but is against the law and it can lead to legal complications. And surprisingly, slight apathy from the employer can lead to loss of the whole business altogether. So any complaint from the employee about gender discrimination or racism should not be ignored and has to be looked upon seriously.
Discrimination can be on the basis of race, caste, nationality, sex, disability, age and pregnancy. In order to foster the law, employee has to be made aware of the law against any such discrimination. And slight doubt about the same has to be dealt with carefully with the help of the HR. There is a proper law made on discrimination and harassment at the workplace by the state. So it’s evocative, that an employee should not bear the discrimination and harassment, but raise their voice against the same. And in order to do so, you have to strictly deal with it:
- Know the law: Ideally every organization makes its employees aware about all the laws and policies of the organization. So keep a note of all the laws and when you are feeling discriminated, you can always go back to your handbook and check the process of complaining about the same.
- Talk to the person politely: Just to reconfirm and to personally sort out the issue, try to talk to the person directly who is harassing you, after continued polite initiative from your end, that person does not change his behavior, its time you take the next step and complain your issue to the manager and the HR.
- Follow up: As already discussed, any complaint on discrimination should not be over ruled and for that you have to follow up continuously. Keep a track of the progress on your complaint whether it has been taken care of or has been ignored completely. If ignored completely, you can seek government help on the same.
- Hire a Lawyer or seek legal help: As discussed, if you do not get satisfactory help from the organization and after continued follow up, no action has been taken, you can always hire a lawyer and seek legal help from the government.
Having said that, a proper process has to be followed in this case because of the legal actions involved and any mistake from your end can wreck your career as well. So keep a note of all the incidents as and when it happens when you felt harassed and discriminated. When asked for furnish all the notes and narrate each and every incident. Also keep a track of when did you file a complaint to the HR department and how long it took for them to take the process further or have they taken the complaint seriously at all.
So all these things has to be kept a note of and then deal with the harassment and discrimination.
Corporate, these days, give a leeway of working from home to most of the professionals. This has been an intelligent move on their part to retain the employees by giving them the flexibility of working from home. It’s so blissful, waking up a little late and logging into your system with a hot cup of coffee, No hurry of rushing to get ready and reach office on time. You have your designated space and privacy. But, working from home is not a piece of cake, because you have more responsibility on your shoulders. You have to prove that you are utilizing your time to your best and you are being productive at the same time. Sometimes you have to work against the clock, it is not the usual 9- 5 shift sometimes, but to meet your deadlines, you have to stretch, which is usually the same when you are at office.
With the urge to prove yourself and making the employer feel that working from home can also be productive, one has to utilize the most of the same. When you are given the leeway, try to utilize it to the best and not take a due advantage out of it for your personal work. Let’s discuss how can we work from home, yet be 100% productive:
- Time management: When working from home, it becomes difficult to manage time because of other stuff coming on the way and postponing your actual work. So proper time management is something which is very important when working from home. Strictly assign your working time and the number of breaks you take, this will bolster spending maximum time at work and helps in increasing the productivity. Closely monitoring your time will help you follow a routine and you will get accustomed to this work environment soon.
- Designate a space: There is continuous disturbance when you work from home and so it becomes insurmountable to concentrate on your work while at home. To avoid any such disturbance, it’s imperative that you designate yourself with a proper work space, with minimal disturbance and inform your kids and spouse to keep distance from your office space and cooperate in working from home.
- 3. Work as if under pressure: The major advantage of going to office is, you work under continuous pressure from your manager and this helps in completing your work on time. So follow the same strategy when working from home, set a target or deadline for self and try to work under continuous pressure to meet the deadline. However, your boss might have assigned the targets, but you tend to become lazy and wait for the last moment to finish all your work when at home. SO to avoid any last moment confusions and tensions, set a goal and target and always work as if under pressure.
- 4. Create a professional environment: As discussed above, when you set a goal a target or goal for self, you are automatically creating a professional environment around. And when you work under this environment, you are in continuous feeling of working in the office itself and help you meet all your targets and deadlines. Feel as if you are working in an office itself and work hard.
- 5. Stay connected with your colleagues: Even if you are working from home, stay connected with your colleagues, attend meeting on phone and get updates on what’s happening in the office. You will be updated at the same time, being in touch with the colleagues will help you in your projects.
So working from home can be beneficial and productive at the same time, if done with proper planning and in a professional manner.
One has to face difficult and negative people at every walk of life. Especially working in the recruitment business, you have to face them almost every day. Your boss, your co-worker, your employees and as an HR, you have to deal with all kind of people and move ahead in your career. That is the trait of a true and hardworking HR.
However, how will you identify, who is a “difficult to deal with” employee, someone, who constantly complaints about the workplace or their co-workers, or boss, or the job itself. Sometimes, even the employer has to face the negative impact borne by these difficult and negative employees. Having said that, one can’t just get rid of these people because there has to have a reason to take any extreme step. And because the employee is difficult to handle, is no good reason. There are people who are always cynical about anyone and everyone in the organization. The moment they meet someone they have a judgement and they have a view for them and they live in that fancy views and ideas and refuse to come out of that and try to talk in a positive way.
Every individual has a different trait, some adjust to the environment and some constantly complain about the same. Let’s discuss ways of dealing with these employees in a professional manner:
- Don’t get carried away: When an employee comes to you to complain about anything, don’t get too carried away and start believing on whatever they say. Because these people have a great convincing power and they make you believe that they are being tortured in the organization. SO you can always listen to whatever they say and tell them you will help them, but learn to draw a line and give them the message loud and clear that, you cannot do anything against the rule of the organization, but suggest them to be positive, which is near to impossible for them. However, you can talk to your senior management about the same.
- Identify the problem: One has to understand the reason why a person has become so negative about a particular person or the organization. SO try to get into the route of the problem and get into their shoes and try to understand the reason behind.
- Talk positively: In order to defuse the problem, you have to adopt a positive attitude and try to always talk positively. When every time, the other person is negative and you are positive, his negativity might slowly diminish and they might take a positive attitude as well. However, this can happen the other way round as well, because negativity always takes a toll on positivity. So try to concentrate only on positive attitude and don’t let your mind divert from your point of view. Stand stiff and confident on your point of view and don’t get convinced by the other person.
- Identify areas of change: When talking to these employees, you will notice a common word or a sentence they will use on almost everyone. SO identify the mindset and areas where you can change them. And try to change their mindset and behaviour towards negativity.
- Stay calm and composed: When a person whines continuously about the co-workers or boss or organization, its mundane that the other person gets irritated and angry at the same time, so be a good listener and Stay calm and composed and do not react in a negative manner, always wear a smile and try to explain them your point of view.
However, one has to understand that there is no fire without flames. There may be some flaws which the other person recognized and that gave a negative impact on them. So try to dig deeper into the issue and try to find out the reason what has created a negative impact on that employee and suggest improvement on any flaws.
They say, never let go a great and deserving employee from your organization. It is equally heartbreaking for an employer to lose a rock star of the organization. When your business is growing, you rely on some of the best performers and would always want to retain that employee. But it is their personal choice and you can never stop an employee from leaving the organization if he/she has a genuine reason to leave.
Sam has been a best performer throughout his career and that made him very popular. When he got a great opportunity, his employer couldn’t imagine letting go of a good employee. But, he was a great person as well and he left the organization with great memories. He was a trendsetter and it became difficult for the employer to hire someone with equally well or more talent, because he became a benchmark for the employer.
Having said that, though this is a hard decision, but one has to take it and move on. The employers survive this loss all the time and they move on over a period of time. Following are the points which will help you either cope with it or help retain the best employee:
- Respect their decision: I know this would be hard, because your heart will bleed losing an employee who, you feel, is the soul of the organization. But remember, they have not signed a bond with you to stay for a lifetime. If they find better opportunities or role, they are bound to leave the organization. So Always, respect their decision and try to put you in their shoes.
- Find out the reason: There may be reason which the employee doesn’t want to reveal which could be harassment or politics or any other reason inside the organization. Try to probe them as a friend and find out the reason for quitting. If it is not related to office, then don’t force them to reveal their personal problems, instead try and understand their situation.
- Try to convince them: As an HR, it is your realm to retain every employee. So, you know this is one of the best employees your organization has and you would definitely want to retain the best of talents. So try to convince them.
- Appreciate their work: When an employee is leaving an organization, as a gesture of respect appreciate their work. And let them know how precious an asset he was for the company and assure them that you will always vouch for them in their future endeavors.
- Let them know they can be rehired: Assure your employee that at any point in time, if they want to come back, you would be more than happy to re-hire such talent in any stage of life.
- Start your hiring process: As soon as you come to know that your employee is leaving, start the hiring process and try to get a similar talent in order to fill the gap.
So, all in all, a difficult decision has to be taken, but one has no choice but to accept the truth and let go the best of employees from your organization. Take it as a challenge and try to hire more of such talents and don’t let the growth of your company affect, if any employee quits the organization.
Education has not been a bar for the deserving candidates of late. What matters is experience and how well versed a person is in that particular skill. But, big brands, do consider education as a major cornerstone for the organization. Whether it’s MBA, MSC or MCA, the career scope for these masters degree has increased. But the question is Masters with experience or masters without experience, which one has more weightage and leverages in the growing competition.
Also, whether the post graduation candidates get a leeway of immediate hiring post their masters, is a debatable topic, which will always be one. SO let us point out some points on what is the scope of career after masters and before masters.
- The institute matters: Irrespective of whether you are pursuing bachelors or masters, the institute plays a vital role. Candidates doing their bachelors from one of the top institutes are given an opportunity. Similarly, masters from a reputed B school, will get more leeway compared to masters through correspondence or any other institute.
- Experienced or freshers: Again, this also depends on company to company. Some organizations consider giving equal opportunities to freshers and so they hire fresh out of college pot graduates. However, there are companies, which are very particular about the hiring trend and only hire candidates holding a masters degree with 1-2 yrs experience in the relevant field.
Apart from the above two points, there are candidates who is still in the pursuit of a job which will offer them a good salary based on their masters. With a graduate unemployment rate quite lucid in the growing competition, lot of people are considering pursuing a master’s degree to increase their scope of getting a job. Having said that, not all the master’s degree provide you with the best of jobs or provide you job at all. For some the struggle is intact whether after bachelors or after masters. So, in order to increase their scope of career after masters, following things can be done:
- Learning and upgrading new skills: What an individual can do is, keep upgrading the skills they are well versed with, this will be an add-on in your resume. Any career requires continuous learning. SO between the gaps where you are still in search of a job, you can always utilize that time in learning advanced technologies and skills. This will be an added advantage in your career search.
- Interview tactics: One has to be very particular about how he/she present them self in front of the interview panel. And majorly when you are a postgraduate professional, the expectations of the employer is even higher. SO learn the tactics of cracking the interview. This will hone your skills further. With every interview you face, your confidence level increases.
SO the scope of a career after masters totally depends upon the organization and the candidate. If you sit at home and think that, companies will come searching for you. This attitude will never take you further in the long run. You have to continuously knock every door to get the job. Not all are lucky enough to get the job as soon as they complete their masters. So, you have to make yourself stand away from the crowd, for the employers to come to you with the job offers.
An organization constantly tries to bring in job satisfaction of employees, which is a cornerstone for employee retention. At the same time, an employee also, is always in the pursuit of their dream job and only when they are satisfied with their current job, they will foster the organization growth.
Apart from the monetary benefits, there are other things also that matters for an overall job satisfaction. An employee looks for a growth in the organization, the scope for learning and recognition of their hard work. So all these bind together gives a job satisfaction to the employees. And this in turn will make them work more and more and give their best to the organization.
Having said that, there are lot of factors which help in the job satisfaction, some of which are listed below:
- Package or Salary: As already discussed, this is the major factor for an employee to stay in the organization. Every employee compares his/her salary from the market trends and only when they feel they are paid good enough, they would feel happy and will build a long term relationship with the organization. SO salary plays a vital role in an employee’s job satisfaction.
- Reward and recognition: All work and no recognition will make you feel like a machine with no oiling. So it is indispensable to appreciate the work of the employees and reward them with some trophies or certificates etc. and recognize their hard work. When an employee’s work is recognized, it will encourage them to work even harder and give their best. Also, they would feel satisfied that their work is appreciated and rewarded.
- Growth and promotion: This is something which concerns every employee. What will be the growth plan in this organization? When is he/she eligible for a promotion? And a proper growth plan has to be followed by the organization which is every employee’s prerogative. Only when a proper growth is visible, an employee feels relieved that they are in safe hands and they can stay in the organization for long. SO time to time growth and promotion also helps in job satisfaction.
- Environment: All the above things do matter, but the most important thing which helps in an employee’s satisfaction is the work culture and the wok environment. Office politics is something which is quite common these days and no employee wants to stay in the organization where this is prominent. A healthy and clean environment, with everyone helping each other and maintaining a healthy relationship, is what an individual is majorly looking for. If the work environment is not healthy and if an employee is forced to work in such environment, then the productivity will automatically decrease and job satisfaction will nowhere be seen.
- Support from the managers: When an employee gets full support from their colleagues and managers, they can vie in the toughest of situation. So, support from managers is very important in an organization.
- Flexibility: Again, too much job stress, can also lead to disinterest for the organization. SO an organization should provide work flexibility, which nowadays plays a vital role in the retention of employees.
Only when these factors are met, an employee can vouch for the organization. Nowadays, lot of companies big and small, consider job satisfaction as the major factor for employee retention. And for that they go that extra mile.