You have just completed your interview which you have been prepping for over a week and you feel relaxed and confident at the same time that the interview went pretty well. But as you come out of the interview room and see the number of people waiting outside, you start feeling the jitters. Now you feel the competition and your confidence level converts into a doubt, “How did I do the interview?”
Seconds ago you were super confident and now you start feeling nervous and want to know the result as soon as possible. Do you think calling up the recruiter and following up is a good idea? Well Yes! You can always follow-up in fact that shows how serious you are about the job.
Having said that, there has to be some tips that can be followed on the same:
- Don’t be desperate: I know it is very difficult to wait for the recruiter to call and you feel desperate and an urge to call them every now and then to know the status. But never show your desperation to the recruiter. It shows a negative impact on them and your desperation can become your enemy. So show your interest but not your desperation.
- Call/email the recruiter: The best practice as soon as you finish your interview should be email the recruiter or call them. Some find it unprofessional to call the recruiter, so you can always email them and let them know about the interview details. Having said that, don’t keep emailing every now and then, this could irritate them and it looks very unprofessional as well. A proper follow-up with regular intervals are still fine.
- Build a rapport: Right from the time you get a call from the recruiter, you can build a rapport with them, so post interview, it becomes easy for you to just make a friendly call or email and let them know how serious you are about this job. Also, a friendly call should be in a professional manner, you don’t have to be too casual, that again gives a wrong impression.
- Don’t stalk: Following up can take a negative shape of stalking. Calling up every day and asking about the feedback becomes irritating for anyone. Remember, a recruiter too has to follow-up with the client and it takes time for the client to respond. SO unless and until they don’t get any update they cannot let you know how much ever you follow-up. SO don’t let your follow-up take a shape of stalking.
- Be professional: I understand you might also feel frustrated after some time, if you don’t get any update. That doesn’t mean, you behave in an unprofessional manner. Always be polite and professional and give them the message loud and clear that, I have other opportunities as well and I am not being desperate but curious.
- Learn to move on: Give yourself some time, and if you do not get any mail or call from the recruiter, it is better to move on. After all, that is not the only company in the market and you can always get better opportunities elsewhere.
Also, you will come to know about the status, by the way the recruiter’s response. If they give a cold reply and say “We will get back to you”, it is clear that you are not selected. So, you are doing your job of following up, so don’t lose hope if they don’t get back and try to move on.
For those who are already working, there is nothing above that you require, because you are already pre-occupied with your office work. But for those who have taken a sabbatical for some time before pregnancy and is now expecting, there is an urge to do something during this time. Especially because, this is the time your mind continuously keeps working on things which are unimportant and those thoughts will make you feel uneasy. So one has to keep them self busy and stay away from unnecessary thoughts and tensions.
However, keeping self busy will bolster your mental and physical health and it gives you peace of mind. Sometimes, women think so much that they reach a stage of oblivion.
Having said that, pregnancy is the time when you have to have maximum peace of mind and don’t let your mind divert towards unnecessary things and thoughts which will affect your health. So there are myriad options available for a woman to keep busy during pregnancy:
- Freelancing: Though you have left your job, or taken a sabbatical, you can always work as a freelancer. This will not only keep you busy but will also help you u earn some money. However, for some money is trivial and all they want is keep them busy. SO freelancing doesn’t require a 9-5 working shift, one can work anytime of the day. You can be freelance blogger or writer and can write about your experience so far of your pregnancy. SO there are glut of topics you can write about.
- Join a class: Based on your interest you can join any class like Yoga, art and craft, Art of living, and many more, which doesn’t entail too much physical strain. You can also start a hobby which you always like but due to your busy schedule couldn’t really implement it like singing, learning guitar, or piano, or anything, which, as already said, is not strenuous and which can be done sitting.
- Try to be active: Remember lying down on your bed or on your couch for the whole day for 9 whole months, makes one too lazy. Try to be active, if you are not on any bed rest, go for a walk, and do Yoga, some breathing exercises. Too much work out is a big NO though, but small exercises as suggested by the doctor can help you get away from the fatigue and mood swings and you will feel rejuvenating and active at the same time.
- Invite your friend’s home: Spending some quality time with near and dear one will always keep you happy. This is the time when people are around you, but still you feel lonely sometimes. So to beat the boredom, invite some friends at your place and spend quality time chit chatting.
- Play some games: Playing some games will keep you busy and help you get away from the stress and jitters. So there are lot of board games available in the market, which you can play with your family members.
So there are lot of options available to keep self busy during pregnancy. However, if you not on bed rest, you can explore many things like going shopping, visiting relatives and friends. At the same time, if you are at bed rest, the above things will help you curb boredom and get away from the jitters as well. So instead of lazily lying down for those 9 months, be active and happy and stay away from stress and tensions.
The feeling of motherhood is inexplicable. You can’t wait to feel the kicks, the movements and listen to the heartbeat of your baby inside. You want to touch the baby and feel the love. There is little nervousness and anxiety for to- be parents. Everything they do and eat, they first want to confirm with the doctor and why not, this is your first conception and you are as novice as a small child. Right from the time you get the news of you being pregnant, you feel happy and want to break the news to the world.
Having a child is a wonderful experience, but still there is anxiety and tension continuously running in their mind. This is the time, when they get pampered from everyone and are made to feel special, but sometimes a sense of “loneliness” stays there. Some of the doubts that vacillate in your mind are:
- Worry and uncontrollable thoughts: Right from the time you conceive, a constant worry and tension stays intact. The fear of something bad will happen, or some past histories of the same or listening to cases and getting tensed. These thoughts are uncontrollable. SO you need to discuss this with your doctor.
- Lack of confidence and fear: Till the time of your delivery, there is conscious fear and your confidence levels are shaky. You want to get this done as soon as possible.
- Diet: A constant doubt about what is good for you and the baby and what is not, keeps running in your mind. You have a craving for something, but you have to think twice before you eat.
So, lot of other doubts come into your mind as an expecting parent which is natural. But at the same time peace of mind and body is very important for the baby as well as you. Having said that, little things which will help get you over the pregnancy jitters:
- Meditation: For the mental and physical peace, an expecting parent should meditate a lot. It will wash away all the doubts in mind and all the fears will vanish and you will feel relaxed and refreshed.
- Join a group: Every to be parents have these jitters and for them there are lot of classes conducted, where you can clear your doubts and suggest something which is useful. SO an interactive class will help you get over the jitters.
- Speak it out: If you have some sort of fear in your mind, best way to get over it is to speak it out with your doctor. Discuss the measures taken to rule out that fear. If required consult a counsellor who will help you come over the tensions and fear.
- Proper sleep: Most of the time, during this time, you have lack of sleep and that affects your body and mind. Constantly thinking about things which are irrelevant and straining your mind and body will affect your health. SO in order to get away from these thoughts, sleep a lot. Whenever, you get time, just sleep. Because when you sleep your mind and body is on rest and it gives immense peace and relaxation.
The first time parents are oblivious and taking tensions is mundane. But one has to keep in mind that it doesn’t affect your health and the baby’s health. SO just try to clear as many doubts as you can and get away with the jitters, rather than thinking and thinking about it and making the situation worse. Remember, your actions and your mental status, directly affects the baby. So watch your actions and thoughts not for you but for the baby and be happy.