For those who are already working, there is nothing above that you require, because you are already pre-occupied with your office work. But for those who have taken a sabbatical for some time before pregnancy and is now expecting, there is an urge to do something during this time. Especially because, this is the time your mind continuously keeps working on things which are unimportant and those thoughts will make you feel uneasy. So one has to keep them self busy and stay away from unnecessary thoughts and tensions.
However, keeping self busy will bolster your mental and physical health and it gives you peace of mind. Sometimes, women think so much that they reach a stage of oblivion.
Having said that, pregnancy is the time when you have to have maximum peace of mind and don’t let your mind divert towards unnecessary things and thoughts which will affect your health. So there are myriad options available for a woman to keep busy during pregnancy:
- Freelancing: Though you have left your job, or taken a sabbatical, you can always work as a freelancer. This will not only keep you busy but will also help you u earn some money. However, for some money is trivial and all they want is keep them busy. SO freelancing doesn’t require a 9-5 working shift, one can work anytime of the day. You can be freelance blogger or writer and can write about your experience so far of your pregnancy. SO there are glut of topics you can write about.
- Join a class: Based on your interest you can join any class like Yoga, art and craft, Art of living, and many more, which doesn’t entail too much physical strain. You can also start a hobby which you always like but due to your busy schedule couldn’t really implement it like singing, learning guitar, or piano, or anything, which, as already said, is not strenuous and which can be done sitting.
- Try to be active: Remember lying down on your bed or on your couch for the whole day for 9 whole months, makes one too lazy. Try to be active, if you are not on any bed rest, go for a walk, and do Yoga, some breathing exercises. Too much work out is a big NO though, but small exercises as suggested by the doctor can help you get away from the fatigue and mood swings and you will feel rejuvenating and active at the same time.
- Invite your friend’s home: Spending some quality time with near and dear one will always keep you happy. This is the time when people are around you, but still you feel lonely sometimes. So to beat the boredom, invite some friends at your place and spend quality time chit chatting.
- Play some games: Playing some games will keep you busy and help you get away from the stress and jitters. So there are lot of board games available in the market, which you can play with your family members.
So there are lot of options available to keep self busy during pregnancy. However, if you not on bed rest, you can explore many things like going shopping, visiting relatives and friends. At the same time, if you are at bed rest, the above things will help you curb boredom and get away from the jitters as well. So instead of lazily lying down for those 9 months, be active and happy and stay away from stress and tensions.
Pregnancy is the time when a woman has lot of mood fluctuations and cravings and they want all the attention in the world. And its natural, they get all the pampering from everyone, right from the in-laws, parents, husband of course and also the neighbours.
Your body goes through so many hormonal changes, you feel groggy, nausea, mood swings, cravings, cramps and what not. This is the time to take extreme care of yourself and your baby. The jitters are common, there is anxiety. Every minute your mood changes and that is the reason doctors ask you to be happy.
Having said that, you behaviour affects the baby inside and those 9 months, you have to just think about the baby and behave and eat for the wellness of the baby.
- Always be happy: As discussed, your behaviour reflects positively or negatively to the baby inside. They say if you are happy, your baby is happy inside. Anger, anxiety, depression will affect adversely to your health and the baby. Whatever you think and do will affect your baby.
- Always think positive: During pregnancy, one has to always take positive vibes and try to get away from negative thoughts. When you think positive, the vibes goes to the baby inside and that will always keep the baby positive. Don’t let negativity take a toll on your happiness and always try to be happy and positive, that is the mantra of healthy pregnancy.
- Listen to soothing music: Music is the best healer for any pains and during pregnancy, music always gives a soothing feeling. It doesn’t have to be necessarily only light music, but not too jazzy music. Songs and music which placates your mood swings is advisable.
- Read religious books: Reading books also diverts from any thoughts which can make you sad, or give tension or anxiety. It keeps you busy. Especially when you read religious books, all your anxiety and jitters vanish and you feel mental peace.
- Meditation: This is the time, when you have mood fluctuations, you feel sad, lonely, happy, angry. SO many emotions barge into your mind, that you don’t have control over it. So best way is to try to manage all these emotions. Meditation is the best practice to keep all these emotions away and keeps you happy and peaceful.
- Eat healthy: Whatever you eat, will help in the growth of your baby. So always eat healthy and eat small small quantity many times instead of eating big meals twice. Eat lot of fruits as well.
- Watch your cravings: This is the time, some women have weird cravings and they say you should never stop your craving. So watch your cravings and things which you think is healthy for the baby ea that.
- Don’t research too much: Doctors always suggest not to research too much at this time, because you have too many unnecessary information available on the net that you go research for anything, it will make you scared rather than happy and that will not help you in anyways, but will keep you more tensed and leave you doubtful.
I am as novice as anyone who has first pregnancy, but just tried to jot down all the points which our elders have been suggesting for ages and which has always worked wonders. SO all in all, always stay healthy, eat healthy and think healthy, your baby will be healthy.
The feeling of motherhood is inexplicable. You can’t wait to feel the kicks, the movements and listen to the heartbeat of your baby inside. You want to touch the baby and feel the love. There is little nervousness and anxiety for to- be parents. Everything they do and eat, they first want to confirm with the doctor and why not, this is your first conception and you are as novice as a small child. Right from the time you get the news of you being pregnant, you feel happy and want to break the news to the world.
Having a child is a wonderful experience, but still there is anxiety and tension continuously running in their mind. This is the time, when they get pampered from everyone and are made to feel special, but sometimes a sense of “loneliness” stays there. Some of the doubts that vacillate in your mind are:
- Worry and uncontrollable thoughts: Right from the time you conceive, a constant worry and tension stays intact. The fear of something bad will happen, or some past histories of the same or listening to cases and getting tensed. These thoughts are uncontrollable. SO you need to discuss this with your doctor.
- Lack of confidence and fear: Till the time of your delivery, there is conscious fear and your confidence levels are shaky. You want to get this done as soon as possible.
- Diet: A constant doubt about what is good for you and the baby and what is not, keeps running in your mind. You have a craving for something, but you have to think twice before you eat.
So, lot of other doubts come into your mind as an expecting parent which is natural. But at the same time peace of mind and body is very important for the baby as well as you. Having said that, little things which will help get you over the pregnancy jitters:
- Meditation: For the mental and physical peace, an expecting parent should meditate a lot. It will wash away all the doubts in mind and all the fears will vanish and you will feel relaxed and refreshed.
- Join a group: Every to be parents have these jitters and for them there are lot of classes conducted, where you can clear your doubts and suggest something which is useful. SO an interactive class will help you get over the jitters.
- Speak it out: If you have some sort of fear in your mind, best way to get over it is to speak it out with your doctor. Discuss the measures taken to rule out that fear. If required consult a counsellor who will help you come over the tensions and fear.
- Proper sleep: Most of the time, during this time, you have lack of sleep and that affects your body and mind. Constantly thinking about things which are irrelevant and straining your mind and body will affect your health. SO in order to get away from these thoughts, sleep a lot. Whenever, you get time, just sleep. Because when you sleep your mind and body is on rest and it gives immense peace and relaxation.
The first time parents are oblivious and taking tensions is mundane. But one has to keep in mind that it doesn’t affect your health and the baby’s health. SO just try to clear as many doubts as you can and get away with the jitters, rather than thinking and thinking about it and making the situation worse. Remember, your actions and your mental status, directly affects the baby. So watch your actions and thoughts not for you but for the baby and be happy.
Having a miscarriage is the biggest loss ever. Especially with couple who has conceived for the first time, it’s really heart breaking. I recently had one, and can feel the pang behind. However, it was an early miscarriage and unfortunately, it’s common these days, says the doctor.
It’s really easy to be sympathetic and suggest, but the after affects and the suffering that the woman face is only known to her. Even If it’s an early or late miscarriage the pain and the sorrow is the same. No words of sympathy can eliminate the depth of pain one is suffering. I still cry sometimes when I am alone. Though I had a 12th week miscarriage, but even before you hear the heartbeat of the baby, you start planning everything. You wait desperately for that moment when you will relish the feeling of motherhood. All the plans and dreams crash at a once.
But, some day you have to some over it, the sooner the better. I realized this just recently. Because the more you think about it the more you get deeper into depression, remember this is not the end of the world. You have to deal with this only then you can plan for the next baby.
- Kill the depression: A person automatically slips into depression once an unfortunate incident happens. It’s really important to come out of that, because excessive depression might affect you mentally and physically. SO practice meditation and keep yourself busy in order to cope with this after effect.
- The guilt: This is something, which I felt. We wonder what went wrong and was it my mistake. Have I done something, which I wasn’t supposed to do? So there are lot of questions and guilt in the mind. May be it was my mistake. SO first thing, Get out of the guilt. It is no body’s mistake. It had to happen and so it happened. Feeling guilty will make the situation worse and you will not be able to come out of it.
- Support each other: This is not a loss of a single person, but both of you suffer equally. So you have to support each other and try not to blame each other. I know your dream is shattered. But it’s time to move on and support and love each other.
- Talk to a counsellor: If you feel, you are not able to come out of it, speak to a counsellor. And talk your heart out and try to find a solution for this rather than living with it forever.
- Talk to your Doctor: Discuss with your doctor on what could be the possible reasons, this happened to you and what are the future measures to be taken, so that this is not repeated again.
- This is not the end: Remember this is not the end of everything. These days it is common and people conceive again. If not, there are many other options these days like adoption.
So, it all depends on you, how to get out of this situation and move on in your life. Your mental state of mind will become stable over a period of time. But this should not affect your health and mind. If you don’t come over it, this might affect your next baby. So keeping this in mind, try to be calm and composed. In no time you will come over it.